Sunday, December 25, 2011

A different kind of Christmas Eve!


Besides the chilly weather it didn’t feel like Christmas Eve here in Patna. I missed the Christmas music, brightly decorates houses and the mad rush of last minute shoppers.

However I did celebrate with my very first dinner invitation! Pratimaji, my go to for everything in town – invited us over for a delicious feast. Just one step in and I knew it was a home. Her uncle and aunt were gracious hosts – who went out of their way to make us feel welcome. The highlight was Pratimaji’s little brother – Om – who had captured everyone’s attention. I loved the way her uncle always referred to his wife as “Tumhari Auntie”…”Your Auntie”. There are several such constant little reminders about how integrated families here truly are. I continue to be amazed with Indian hospitality and the warmth with which guests (planned or unplanned) are welcomed. The conversation, the delicious food and being surrounded by a family was so reminiscent of past holidays. Although, nothing could ever replace Katie’s hilarious gift tags and thoughtful quirky gifts, I felt that special Christmas Eve joy all around miles away from home. 




No comments:

Post a Comment