Friday, December 2, 2011

When there's a will there's a way!

I am struggling to adjust to my new “home”. There are minor but daily challenges associated with being a woman in this environment. Even the six years in the trucking industry didn’t prepare me adequately for this transition! I am one of three women in the office, I can’t walk home alone after dark (that’s usually around 5PM), and in fact I don’t really do much on my own during the day. It isn’t common for females to work. The land lords in the area don’t lease to single females without solid local references because it seems odd that a girl would be living in a city by herself for her “job”. The ladies time (yes, of course there are separate times for gents &ladies) at the gym starts at 10:00 AM and ends at 5:00PM while the men are at work.

Just as I was starting to question how successful I can truly be in this environment, I met a young woman who has proven that it not only possible to be successful but rather excel beyond expectations. She’s a bony 25 year old gal who is working in the remotest parts of Bihar. She has conceivably the toughest job in the organization, managing collections for the region.  She can’t travel anywhere alone, day or night because it isn’t safe. Yet, she is managing over twenty men spread across several villages. In three short months, she has developed relationships that allow her to get things done, often over the phone. She doesn’t resort to yelling or screaming – instead she encourages her team by starting small competitions or buying presents for their girlfriends. I asked her what motivated her to keep trying despite the obvious obstacles. Without any hesitation she answered, “You have to have passion to succeed here. You have to build relationships because nothing else will work in the villages.”

Despite the never ending hindrances, challenging living arrangements and at best - limited freedom - (while she sleeps), she manages to maintain a positive and cheerful attitude throughout my three days with her. My transition to Patna suddenly seems so minor in comparison. 

1 comment:

  1. Very well said. Small things in life are- what give you immense joy - the ones to cherish

    ReplyDelete