Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Gratitude

I was immensely relieved to finally get to my seat for the flight from Patna to Bombay. Getting a boarding pass, passing through security and actually making it on a plane requires enormous will and patience here. An old joyful lady plopped herself next to me. I reached over and helped her fasten her seat belt to prep for takeoff. Instantly, she grabbed my hands into hers and kissed them. With a grand smile she made sure I knew that she appreciated the help. It made me wonder why some people are able to express gratitude so easily. Despite the language barrier she communicated her gratitude instantaneously. On my flight back to Patna, feeling re energized by the amazing week with family and friends both new and old – I began to think about all the things I was grateful for:
My aunt pampering me with my favorite foods all at once! Just having a home cooked meal was a delight. Instead she had a buffet of options and I didn’t hold back on any! It is so heartwarming to know that someone went out of their way to plan for your arrival.

       Spending time with my ninety-something year old grandpa. I recognize way too often how precious this time with him is – to have the opportunity to watch a cricket match, chit chat on the sofa and stare out the window with him, is worth the entire trek. I hope I can communicate just how precious he is to me through my actions throughout this year.
  
         I also loved trying to befriend my newest niece. Her big expressive eyes communicated her curiosity and mischievous nature. The joy she brings to her parents and grandma made me appreciate just what a difference a little girl that doesn’t even speak can make.


I was immensely grateful for the time my aunts, uncles, brothers, sisters and sister in law made without me even asking. They took me shopping, out to a rural carnival(!), fulfilled random Shiv Sagar, VadaPav and ThumsUp requests and even waited outside an unanswered door for 20 minutes! The greatest and most precious gift of all is time. I am blessed to have a family that is so gracious with it. I even got a little goody bag of treats to bring back with me!
Sharing laughs and food with the fellows & AF team was incredibly reenergizing. It was fun to show off Mumbai and explore it with such close friends. Looking in, no one would have guessed that this was the first time we had really spent time with the AF India staff. It was a much needed break that confirmed how incredibly powerful a support system can be.
I was grateful for the sense of freedom, to hop in a rickshaw or take a bus. To not have to worry or ask for directions. It was lovely to feel independent for a few days. Yet at the same time, I felt so fortunate to be taken care by family and friends. Little thoughtful acts like my brother carrying my suitcase up two flights of stairs, my uncle and brother’s insistence on giving me rides or the fellows who are always willing to listen and advise are great reminders of how blessed I am.


Although I may not have expressed my gratitude as instantly and as easily as the wise grandma, all of these moments helped me create a sense of calmness within as I landed in Patna. The city has turned bitter cold but Surajji’s (the guesthouse’s entertaining cook) smile was my warm welcome back. 

1 comment: