Monday, November 21, 2011

Ying and Yang


Patna. The overwhelming stench of the garbage along the dirty roads is hard to ignore. I have to conscientiously dodge the red spit stains, cow dung and stray dogs on my walk to the office. The cycle rickshaws, barely lit roads with small temples give you the impression of a village decades ago. Yet the same city is home to a revolving restaurant, malls and several innovative organizations all working towards change.

This development was recently highlighted, when my housemates and I ventured to a pristine mall on the other side of city to experience the best restaurant Patna offers. Puneetji, without any hesitation plopped next to the rickshaw driver as the rest of us piled into the back. I couldn't contain my smile at the sight of something familiar. A mall complete with Biba, CafĂ© Coffee Day, Adidas and Domino's outlets. Yet, the disparity between life inside and outside the shiny new building is impossible to ignore.

Last night I sat, the only girl with a group of 12 other male co-workers, listening to Jay-Z blaring on one set of speakers competing with an old Hindi classic on the other. It struck me - countless such unexpected and unchartered moments wait for me and for Patna. 

No comments:

Post a Comment