Thursday, November 17, 2011

I’m definitely in Bihar, it wasn’t a dream!


I hop on Satishji’s bike and head to the office. Unfinished stairs without a railing, wireless internet that doesn't work and a bustling conference room table that’s being used as an office by 5 people  – all signs that I am at a start up. The 20 minute chat with the CEO is enough evidence to see why he’s been able to create this enterprise. He is direct, concise and encouraging in the time I spend with him. He directs “Take the next step, even if it isn't the best step.” Thanks to Satishji I get access to internet and meet the rest of the team.

Later in the evening, my tolerance for noise, need for personal space and/or security gets put to the test.  I hop on Satishji’s bike again to go to the bank, still haven’t figured out the foot rest bit, so my right leg is dangling in mid-air. I quickly realize why the rests are a necessity in the first place; I’m surrounded by jeeps, rickshaws, trucks, people and two wheelers all honking for attention at once. I try to keep my foot as close to the bike as possible while avoiding the turning wheel; Haunting tales of people’s duppatas and pants getting stuck flash in my mind.  Drivers swerve to change directions at their heart’s whim and I feel like I should expect whiplash tomorrow.  I’ve been in Indian traffic before but never like this.

A gal from the office was kind enough to take me on an apartment hunting trip. She said we needed to get a rickshaw. I didn’t realize were pursuing a cycle rickshaw. They are all around Patna. I felt like a giant and wished I could make myself instantly lighter. Fortunately, we walked home.  


I did manage to get a phone so I’m finally connected. Feeling a bit more settled now.  

No comments:

Post a Comment