Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Arrival in Bihar!


I landed in Delhi yesterday in sheer awe of the shinny, sparkley airport. It was no different than the Amsterdam airport even the posted signs seemed to be the same. Despite the 14 hour flight, it wasn't until I saw the Dillichat counter at the airport that it truly hit me that I was in India.

3 hours later I was on the flight to Patna. A stark difference from the award winning airport I had experienced earlier. Patna has 2 baggage belts so my giant suitcase was pretty easy to spot. When I stepped outside to see the swarms of mosquitoes & flies hovering around the lights - I knew I was really here. This is going to be India unlike anything I've experienced before. As I stood outside hoping my ride hadn't forgotten about me, avoiding the shoves of the crowd of taxi drivers -  I reminded myself how I had knowingly signed up for ambiguity.

A pleasant evening at Satishji's followed. I met my two housemates and Satishji's brothers family. His nephews set up the bright pink mosquito net around my bed after dinner. It is such little touches of hospitality that make me feel welcome. The bed is hard, the bucket bath is cold but the IU sweats I brought with me give me a sense of comfort. Day 1 @ the office awaits.

No comments:

Post a Comment