Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Is getting the job done the most important priority?


I have been thinking about this question a lot lately.  I believe that as a manager if I continue to tell people what to do, how to do and when to do - I wind up developing individuals that simply follow and implement at best. I don't encourage their questions, develop their strengths or recognize their potential. It is a much more challenging task to instead try to develop ownership and accountability within them.  By encouraging people to pursue projects as their own responsibility, they alone are tasked with the success or failure of it. This invariably means that the job doesn't always get done when I want and how I want it. Yet, it helps preserve individual ownership that is hampered when I unintentionally turn an employee into an implementer.  This is a disservice to the employee and the organization.
I must strive to strike a balance between providing guidance and creating accountability. Guidance can only be provided if I understand and recognize the employee’s individual strengths, weaknesses, drive and capabilities. Accountability on the other hand can only be created by giving employees both the authority and responsibility to deliver. There’s a risk no matter what approach I pick; one approach can potentially hamper a single deliverable while the other obstructs an employees’ potential.
Personally, I'd rather risk a deliverable at the cost of compromising the organizations’ full potential. 

No comments:

Post a Comment