Wednesday, May 23, 2012

109º F

With frequent power cuts and alarming temperatures in Patna, unusual happenings are starting to take place.  All the critters and creatures from the outside have decided to invade my slightly cooler bedroom.  A new one every day,  mice, lizards, even bugs I’ve never seen before.  As I slept last night, I felt something crunchy crawling on my forehead. I flung it across the room onto the curtains in one quick motion. I switched on the lights rather paranoid, only to discover that a flying cockroach had crawled on my face a few moments ago. No one said this year was going to glamorous, but this may be where I draw my line. Needless to say, I stayed awake all night with the lights on to capture any friends the creepy crawler had brought with him.

When the weather is this warm there are changes even in people’s day to day activities.  Although, I usually walk to the office from the guesthouse, I carefully timed my departure to ensure that I would be ready to go around the same time as my colleague. You see he has a bike! Even the 1 km walk seems unbearable in this weather. Unfortunately,  Mithlesh ji, another employee staying at the guesthouse had the exact same plan. The solution? Get all 3 people and their bags on the bike of course! I felt like a true Bihari
as we rode in style under the blaring sun. 


The hot weather is bringing some rather nasty and some pleasant memorable firsts.

No comments:

Post a Comment